Salicylic ointment: use and contraindications
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory salicylic ointment is mainly used to treat various skin diseases, helping to remove warts, acne, corns, as well as during the exacerbation of psoriasis. The therapeutic effect of the drug is based on the active action of salicylic acid, which was originally identified in natural conditions - in the bark of willow tree.
Now salicylic acid is produced on an industrial scale for medical purposes. Preparations containing it, including ointment, are applied externally. The remedy is widely known to the public due to its efficiency, availability in the pharmacy network, home production capabilities from simple components and low cost.
What does the remedy consist of?
The name of the drug salicylic ointment is associated with its main content - an acid, which can be present in different concentrations from two to sixty percent of the composition, which determines the strength and direction of the therapeutic effect.The drug has a dense, uniform and thick texture, it is grayish or white in color and quite fat to the touch. The preparation includes:
- salicylic acid, as the main active ingredient;
- medical purified petroleum jelly, as an auxiliary component.
Vaseline is needed in order to evenly distribute and dissolve the acid, so that the agent retains the same concentration in any part of its application. This property distinguishes the ointment from the solution.
The content of the drug allows it to be used for skin lesions of infectious and other history, which is especially important in the presence of acne, accompanied by painful sensations and an unaesthetic appearance of the skin.
The product is not combined with other outdoor medications. A solution based on an acid can be considered its partial analogue, since identical properties are inherent in them. However, the latter is especially effective for warts, otitis, and, in contrast to ointments, it contains some synthetic medications.
It is necessary to indicate that salicylic ointment, produced by pharmaceutical companies,today has several varieties, which depends on the addition of other active substances, and may be called:
In the first embodiment, it is an acid-based drug of a certain concentration.
In the second, along with the acid, zinc oxide becomes the active substance, and by the composition of auxiliary components it would be more logical to call the ointment a paste based on the pharmaceutical manufacturing techniques of medicines.
The third option has sulfur as the second active component of the agent and can have a different concentration of basic substances, but in the same proportions. Two varieties differ from salicylic ointment by a different therapeutic effect.
They are based on the action of the active component of the drug - salicylic acid. It is, above all, an excellent anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, allowing you to quickly and effectively heal wounds and boils, get rid of acne and pimples, soften growths and corns.
Another successful property is keratolic, which helps exfoliate dead epithelium in order to regenerate the skin.The drug is famous for its potent antiseborrhoeic properties and the ability to reduce perspiration by acting on the skin glands.
Indications for use
Salicylic ointment is used as the main drug in the treatment of many skin diseases. It can be used:
- in infectious and inflammatory processes such as wounds, scratches and so on;
- in the treatment of burns;
- when diagnosing psoriasis and eczema;
- in the treatment of ichthyosis, which is characterized by the presence of skin formations similar to fish scales;
- as a remedy for dyskeratosis - dysplastic transformation of the epidermis;
- from acne vulgaris and from warts;
- with hyperkeratosis;
- from calluses and from corns;
- in the treatment of oily seborrhea and alopecia;
- in the presence of pityriasis lichen;
- from excessive sweating of the feet.
Instructions for use
The use of tools in the treatment of various skin diseases has its own characteristics that must be considered to obtain a successful result:
- For skin problems, it is advisable to independently prepare a product of three components for application overnight. Take equal proportions of two percent ointment, antiseptic cream with dexpanthenol, zinc ointment.The first week is applied to the problem areas daily in the evening until the set goal is reached, then, for prevention, a couple of times in seven days. Since salicylic ointment strongly dries the skin, it is carefully used by people with a dry type of skin and with its increased sensitivity to external influences.
- A two percent remedy, as part of complex therapy, successfully exhibits its properties in ichthyosis and seborrhea, psoriasis and eczema, pyoderma and diaper rash, when mixed with petroleum jelly.
- Burn lesions are treated with a 5% drug.
- In order to remove warts, a more concentrated version of the product is used - sixty percent salicylic ointment.
- To remove skin calluses and horniness, a course of therapy for up to several weeks with the use of a 10% remedy will be required. When the result is achieved, it stops, and in general should not exceed three weeks.
Be sure to use the instructions to the drug, observing the dose and timing of therapy. Before you apply the ointment, the skin with lesions is pretreated, gently removing the dead epithelium with crusts.
Bubble-covered burns are pre-opened, and then using an antiseptic to treat an open wound, and only then apply the tool. The procedure is carried out on the eve of sleep, the layer should be thin, the affected area is covered with a sterile cloth, with a bandage on top.
How to use the drug for painful open wounds? Soak it with a sterile gauze bandage and apply, changing the bandage every day. To increase the success of therapy, it is worth reviewing your diet and excluding some products from it. When using the means refuse:
- carbohydrate-containing products - bread, pasta, yeast baking;
- fatty foods.
Features of use
Contraindications and side effects occur, but are very limited, which makes the ointment popular and widely used, in particular contraindications include:
- people with renal insufficiency;
- those who have individual intolerance to the components of the ointment;
- infants with skin diseases.
It is not recommended to remove warts from the face or zones of the genitals with the help of the drug, as well as the use of ointments for warts, on which birthmarks or hair are present.Pregnant women and children who are prescribed an ointment as a remedy, use it for small areas of the skin and in limited doses, not more than five milliliters.
The drug does not cause side effects and complaints in most patients, it does not have a negative effect on the body, but in rare cases it can cause allergies in the form of burning, redness, itching at the sites of application, and an increase in temperature. If he accidentally got on the mucous membrane, then it is imperative to rinse it abundantly with clean water.
The ointment can be prepared at home, with the main advantage of the home-made remedy being the presence of elevated concentrations of acid, which is useful for the treatment of fungal diseases in the later stages of the process. It is desirable to especially check the absence of an allergic reaction to this drug. And for the preparation of homemade medicine will need the following ingredients:
- salicylic acid - twelve grams;
- lactic acid - six grams;
- Vaseline - eighty grams.
All components are thoroughly mixed and applied to the places affected by the fungus, covering with a compress. It is worth considering that the mixture is not stored for a long time.
As you can see, the range of skin problems, successfully amenable to the effects of the drug, is quite wide, making it popular with dermatologists and the public.
How to return a loved one
Top 10 Interesting Kiss Facts
Natural material and clay: DIY crafts
Karl Lagerfeld for the first time in 30 years, changed the image
How can I use walnut oil
Baked Garlic Bread
How not to play sports: the main rules
What does heart tattoo mean