Laser Stretch Mark Removal, Get Rid of Stretch Marks
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks at Home
Almost everyone has some part of their body that they aren’t completely happy with, but there are ways to be more confident in your own skin. Stretch marks (also called striae) are discolored lines on your skin that can appear almost anywhere on your body. It’s almost impossible to entirely get rid of your ‘tiger stripes,’ but there are a few ways to minimize their appearance. Taking excellent care of your skin via moisturizers and hydration is a good start. Getting a prescription for a retinoid medication can help as well.
Minimizing the Appearance of Marks
Ask your doctor about a prescription for a Retinoid medication.This topical treatment helps to boost elastin and collagen production, leading to healthier skin. It comes in a lotion form that you can apply at home. In most cases, you’ll need to rub the lotion on to the areas of your skin with stretch marks once daily for 16 weeks.
- During each application session, keep going until the skin feels saturated with lotion and almost slick to the touch. Read the bottle carefully to see if a specific amount or application method is suggested.
- Don’t take any retinoid medications if you are (or might be) pregnant or nursing. Read the side effects of the medication before starting it.
- Retinoid medications can make your skin more sensitive to the sun and prone to burns. Limit your sun exposure during the application period.
Apply cocoa butter cream daily.Look for a lotion that lists cocoa butter or cocoa powder as one of the primary ingredients. Some products specifically state that they are designed to reduce or prevent the appearance of stretch marks. Read the directions on the bottle carefully and rub the lotion into your skin every day until it feels soft and supple.
- There is no guarantee that these lotions will minimize your marks. However, the cocoa butter is supposed to have a hydrating effect.
Rub on a skin product that contains centella asiatica daily.Another ingredient in some lotions and creams is centella asiatica, which is supposed to increase your skin’s collagen production. Look for a lotion that contains this herbal oil as a primary ingredient. Follow the products directions for application.
- Since centella asiatica is also used to reduce scarification and treat wounds, you might find it in the wound care section of your local pharmacy.
Massage your marks for 15 minutes daily with almond oil.Get almond oil at your local health food or grocery store. Apply the oil liberally to your hands and rub it all over your marks. Continue gently massaging for 15 minutes and repeat this action daily for best results.
- There is no set amount of oil that you should use for each massage. However, don’t let your marks dry out in the middle of the massage.
Dab potato juice on to your stretch marks.Slice up a potato (any variety will do) and place the slices into a juicer. Collect the juice in a container and dip a cotton ball into it. Then, hold the cotton ball on top of your marks for 1-2 minutes. Repeat until you’ve coated all of your marks in potato juice.
- This is a method that you can repeat daily for maximum effectiveness. However, there is not guarantee that it will reduce the appearance of your marks.
- The vitamin C and potassium from potatoes will help to lighten the appearance of your marks over time. However, it usually won’t make them completely disappear.
- If you don’t have a juicer, place a piece of sliced potato directly on to your skin marks.
Cover your marks with a primer before applying other make-up.Look for a primer that has a greenish tint that will help to counteract and minimize the redness of your marks. Follow the directions on the primer bottle and use your fingertips to dab the primer on to your marks until they blend in with the surrounding skin.
- After you’ve applied the primer, use a brush or your fingertips to put a thin layer of foundation on your skin. For even more concealment, brush some finishing powder on top.
- Experiment with various tones of primer, foundation, and powder until you find the combination that works the best for you.
- Although make-up is usually used on your face, it can actually be applied anywhere on your body to minimize the appearance of marks.
Creating Healthier Skin
Apply a skin repair lotion daily.Look for an over-the-counter lotion that is advertised as a healing and moisturizing product. Check to see that the label lists petroleum or petrolatum as one of the first ingredients. The lotion will provide a barrier that will help your top layer of skin to heal and stay protected.
- If you have sensitive skin, look for a lotion that is approved by the National Eczema Association. This means that it’s less likely to cause skin irritation or redness.
Drink plenty of water each day.A good general rule is to aim to drink around 8 glasses of water each day, although some people need more and some require less. Reduce the amount of other beverages, such as alcohol or soda, if you are in the habit of consuming these. Staying hydrated with water can improve the overall health of your skin and help to heal stretch marks.
- For women, the suggested daily fluid intake is 11.5 cups (2,700 mL). For men, it is 15 cups (3,500 mL). This amount includes fluids from all beverages and foods.
Eat 2-3 squares of dark chocolate each day.The flavonols in dark chocolate are an antioxidant that can help to reduce redness and puffiness of your skin and around your stretch marks. The cocoa in chocolate also helps to hydrate your skin, making your marks look less sunken in. For best results, look for a dark chocolate that contains at least 70% cocoa.
Preventing Additional Marks
Maintain a healthy weight via diet and exercise.Eat a diet rich in fresh produce and unprocessed foods. Work out at least 3 days a week, including both cardio and resistance exercises. Losing and regaining weight can stretch your skin and lead to stretch marks.
- Talk with your doctor about your ideal weight and work toward that goal.
- It’s normal to gain some weight during pregnancy. However, work with your doctors to keep your weight at a healthy level to reduce skin stretching.
Give yourself daily skin massages.Gently, but firmly, rub the skin surrounding your stretch marks for 15-30 minutes each day. A sophisticated massage technique is not required. Simply move your fingers in small circles over the area. This action helps to increase blood flow to the area which can stimulate healing and reduce redness.
- You can also, of course, pay for professional massages on a regular basis if you’d like even better results.
- Regular massages can lower the possibility that additional stretch marks will form in that same area, too.
Treat any underlying medication conditions.Some diseases, such as Cushing’s syndrome, can cause skin discoloration on the body and face. These color changes may appear as stretch marks and might be larger or wider than usual. Talk with your doctor about how to balance your medications so that your skin changes only minimally.
- For example, if you have Cushing’s syndrome, you’ll likely need to take a medication that can control your cortisol levels. Elevated cortisol hormones have been linked to stretch mark development.
QuestionCan brown sugar and lemon juice remove stretch marks on my buttocks?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, that will not do anything for stretch marks.Thanks!
QuestionCan I get rid of stretch marks by exercising my body?Beauty777Community AnswerThis will help a lot, but it will not completely remove them. Exercising will help tone your body and mask the stretch marks. Staying toned and fit can also lessen the possibility of additional stretch marks appearing.Thanks!
QuestionI have stretch marks on my arms and thighs from more than years. Will they be removed or not?Beauty777Community AnswerUnfortunately, these methods are made to remove new stretch marks and not already mature ones. However, these can help mask them. If you want older stretch marks removed completely, you may have to get surgery.Thanks!
QuestionI have stretch marks on my breasts. What does it mean, and how can I get rid of them?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt just means you have either put on or lost weight. Try massaging vitamin E oil on the area.Thanks!
QuestionCan you get rid of them completely?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt's almost impossible to get rid of stretch marks without some sort of medical intervention, such as surgery. Instead, focus your home methods on improving the quality of your skin, lessening the appearance of current stretch marks, and preventing new ones from developing.Thanks!
QuestionAre stretch marks a sign of gaining weight or losing it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAny kind of weight changes, even if only a few pounds, can cause stretch marks to appear. As the skin stretches back and forth it loses some of its pliability and this causes marks. Staying close to the same weight can generally keep more stretch marks from developing, along with healthy skin practices.Thanks!
QuestionCan coconut oil get rid of stretch marks on my arms quickly?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, coconut oil will not help you get rid of stretch marks quickly, although it's still good for your skin.Thanks!
How do I get rid of stretch marks on my body?
I have stretch marks on my stomach; is applying honey and lemon juice mixture on the area effective?
What exercise should I do to remove stretch marks in my hands?
What can I do to remove stretch marks on my shoulders, and to prevent them from spreading?
Please what can I do to remove eczema in my body?
- If you do decide to seek medical treatment for your stretch marks, there are a number of options available. Laser or microneedling treatments often create the best results. Talk with your primary doctor or dermatologist for details.
- Stretch marks can make some people feel very uncomfortable with their body. If you ever feel depressed about your body, reach out to your doctor for advice and help.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Deutsch: , Русский: , Português: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , 中文: , Čeština:
Video: Dermatology Treatments : How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks From Weight Loss
Your SpreadTheHealth Challenge: Relax Already
How to Treat Epilepsy in Beagles
Temperley London SpringSummer 2019 Collection: Sunrise to Dusk
Men’s Hand Luggage Essentials
How To Get A Raw Hem For An Old Pair Of Jeans
The week before Christmas
Three superior bicep curls
7 Healthy Hangover Meals
How to Make a Concrete Stool
7 Weight-Loss Snacks That Will Keep You Full Until Your Next Meal