Florarium - a stylish interior decoration
If you like plants, then you will certainly be interested in such an interesting way of keeping them as a florarium. Find out how to create it yourself and provide the right care.
What it is?
Florarium is a kind of aquarium for plants. It differs from an ordinary pot by using a glass container, and to a greater extent it is closed and has only a small hole. This feature allows you to create almost greenhouse and greenhouse conditions, as well as provide an ideal microclimate for growth and development. Moisture evaporates minimally, and the plants themselves produce air.
Consider the main advantages of florarium:
- First of all, such an unusual decorative element will allow you to create an interesting accent in the interior and refresh it, making some kind of zest.
- This is ideal for a small apartment, in which there is simply no place to accommodate large pots with tall plants.Florarium does not take up much space, especially if it is miniature.
- Such an unusual way of growing plants will decorate the interior of any room: living room, kitchen, bedroom, nursery, and even a bathroom or corridor.
- Security. If there are small children or animals in the house or apartment, then they will definitely not suffer from plants, even prickly and containing toxic substances, because access to them is limited. And if you equip a fully enclosed florarium, it will not harm even allergies, as a representative of the flora will be inside the container, which excludes contact with the environment and the impact on the indoor microclimate.
- Easy maintenance. If the florarium is done correctly, then it will create a unique microclimate, close to the natural optimal conditions. And this means that the plant will independently provide itself with everything necessary, because it releases oxygen, and the evaporating moisture accumulates on the walls in the form of condensate and re-enters the soil. Airing is practically not needed, and watering can be rare.
Cons are few and insignificant. The first is the likelihood that a glass container can break if accidentally hit or pushed.And then all efforts will be in vain, and the plant is likely to die. The second disadvantage is associated with the lack of necessary knowledge and non-compliance with the rules of equipment of the florarium. If you make it wrong and make mistakes, then the chosen representative of the fauna will not develop and grow.
There are several different types of florariums, and the main criterion for classification is the characteristics of the flora, that is, specific plants and the conditions for their growth and development.
So, the varieties of florariums:
- Tropical or forest florarium involves the cultivation of plants that live in forests, for example, in tropical humid lands. In a container, you can create a multi-tiered composition that resembles the natural conditions of growth in the wild. Such plants as ivy, ficus, calamus, asparagus, fern, some bamboo species, phytonias are used. The soil can have a complex composition and include peat, sand, leaf land. To maintain an optimum level of humidity, a small wet snag or small cup of water disguised with greens can be placed inside the tank.
- Desert or semi-desert florarium includes plants growing in very dry conditions - all sorts of numerous succulents, which include cacti. The soil should include sifted sand. And it is better to choose a container with a rather wide neck, since excessively narrowed and small can increase the humidity, and it is destructive for such a flora. Watering is carried out as the soil dries completely and should be moderate.
- Mountain florarium means the use of plants that grow mainly in the mountains. These include rubber plants, ivy, some succulents. The soil can be either rich in organic matter, or sandy, depending on the particular selected representatives of the flora. Its layer should be covered with stones that mimic the mountainous terrain. Watering is carried out in accordance with the characteristics of plants.
Equipment of a simple florarium
How to make a florarium with your own hands? If you do not own the skills of crop production, then you can equip a simple option. First, prepare everything you need, namely a glass jar, a wide bottle, or an aquarium, pebbles, tweezers, dry and lively green moss, and soil.
- First, you need to moisten the soil a little and leave it for a few hours so that it is completely soaked and absorbs all the moisture.
- Place a layer of pebbles on the bottom of the tank, then dry moss, then the ground, and only then live moss. The thickness of all layers should be approximately the same.
- Put the finished florarium in a dark and wet enough place. Every three weeks, spray moss with a spray gun to make it wet, but not wet.
Also at home you can equip the desert florarium by placing a drainage in the form of a mixture of sand and pebbles on the bottom of a previously sterilized glass container. Then the soil for succulents is laid, and small cacti are immersed in it. All components of the soil is better treated with potassium permanganate to destroy pathogenic microorganisms.
Finally a few tips:
- If you do not know how to care for the florarium, then consider the features of plants placed in a glass container. So, one needs shading and high humidity, while others, on the contrary, like light and dry air. Learn all about the care of certain representatives of the flora can be, having studied the relevant literature.
- For irrigation, it is better to use either distilled or purified or bottled water, as tap water may contain chlorine and other chemicals harmful to plants.
- If large amounts of condensate form on the walls of the tank, then florarium should be aired regularly, leaving it in the open air or in a room with open windows for several hours a day.
- Watch the florarium. Firstly, it is interesting, secondly, it allows you to notice the deterioration of the plant and to identify the errors. If the foliage rots, it is probably worth reducing the watering. If spots appear on the green parts, this may indicate contamination of the soil with pests. And if the plant started to dry, most likely, it lacks moisture.
Create a unique florarium and make it an interesting and unusual accent of the interior of any room.
WeWearWhatWeWant: a new flash mob in social networks
19 photos of ideas to fill the house with spring mood with a floral print
Rings again shine The fastest and easiest way to clean gold jewelry
Simple Ceiling Light
What products can replace meat
Healthy and proper nutrition for schoolchildren and children
Linen style - for brave fashionistas
The whole truth about hormones